The Dog's Tail #47

THE DOG'S TAIL

bedtime story


Once there lived a farmer. He worked very hard, but could not earn enough to make both ends meet.

One fine morning, the farmer was ploughing his field. His wife was busy repairing the gaps in the fence. While he was ploughing, the plough struck against something hard under the soil. The farmer dug deep into the soil in that place, Soon he saw a big brass pot. He called his wife and they pulled the pot out from the soil. As soon as the farmer opened the lid, a spirit came out of the pot.

It folded its hands and said, "You have freed me from this pot. Henceforth, I am your servant. I will do whatever you ask me to do, but on one condition."

"What is it?" asked the farmer.

"You will never let me remain idle," replied the spirit.

The farmer needed somebody like the spirit to help him in his work. He said, "All right. I agree. Now you can go and plough the field." The spirit immediately started the work that was given to it. It finished ploughing the whole field in an hour, came to the farmer and asked, "Now what should I do?"

The farmer was astonished. The spirit had completed the work in one hour! The same work would have taken him two to three days to complete. He said to the spirit, "Now take some manure from that heap and scatter it all over the field. After that, I want you to level the field. so that we can sow wheat."

The spirit completed all the jobs that were given to it very quickly. As soon as it finished a job, it would come to the farmer and ask him, "Now what should I do?" The farmer was puzzled. He thought, "How can I keep giving work to this spirit? It finishes everything so quickly!"

The farmer's wife was an intelligent woman. She advised the farmer, "The dog who guards our house has a crooked tail. Whenever the spirit is free and asks for a fresh job, tell it to straighten the dog's tail."

The farmer liked his wife's suggestion.

As soon as the spirit finished its work, it came to the farmer and asked, "Now what should I do?"

The farmer did exactly as his wife had advised him to do. "I will call you when I need you," he assured the spirit.

The spirit went to the dog and started straightening the tail. But a dog's tail always remains crooked! The spirit tried its best, but could not straighten it.

Now the spirit is not free even for a moment. It does not bother the farmer by asking. "Now what should I do?"

The farmer and his wife feel relaxed and they do their work as they did before. They give the spirit only those jobs which take a long time to complete.


What did you learn from this story? Let's say it in the comment box below. And yes, if you like this story, don't forget to share. So let's meet again with a new story.

Comments